[c-nsp] Good practices for peering

Tony Tauber ttauber at 1-4-5.net
Tue Jan 3 11:43:31 EST 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Danny McPherson wrote:

> I'm a fan of setting the BGP next hop to "self" explicitly on
> external BGP peering sessions (and internal ones, though with
> different motivations) for a couple of reasons.  The first of which
> is that it's otherwise derived dynamically depending on media type
> and may result in either routing OR forwarding brokenness (the
> former of which may result in the latter as well :-).

For another prerpsective, I had good luck leaving the next-hop and
redistributing connected (or static for eBGP multi-hop sessions) into
the IGP.  It's been a long time since peering across multi-access
(shared) subnets so perhaps those circumstances merit other
considerations.

The benefit of carrying separate next-hops for each peer was in
traffic engineering.  We could, through application of a route-map on
the redistribution, set a separate IGP metric for each next-hop if
needed to achieve our TE goals.
There now may well be other ways to achieve this effect, but I thought
it was a nice solution.

Just another perspective.

Tony