[c-nsp] silly ospf question -- unequal cost paths

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jan 4 01:44:18 EST 2006

Ashe Canvar <> wrote on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:03 AM:

> I have multiple possible ospf paths between router A and B. Is there
> any way I can see all possible paths available between A and B and
> their respective costs.

No.

> Does the OSPF shortest path calculation happen from the linkstate
> database  when the primary path fails and this is the reason that the
> backup paths or higher cost paths cannot be displayed when they are
> not active ?

Yes, more or less. IOS doesn't display the entire active "path" either,
it just shows the next-hop along its SPF.

> This is terribly confusing when trying to troubleshoot or understand
> a topology.

Well, I usually use network diagrams to understand a new topology ;-)
I think there are tools around to create topology maps based on
link-state databases (as all the info is in there), but I don't recall
their names.

	oli