[c-nsp] question about BFD

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 5 00:36:47 EST 2006

On (2006-01-04 17:26 -0800), Dan Martin wrote:

Hey,

> I'd be interested in hearing about any operational experience with BFD.
> I think unless its used wisely it could be the equivalent of putting a
> rubber band over your grip safety, a specifically good idea could turn
> into a generally bad one, depending on the circumstances.

 We've labbed it in 7600 and our experience were not good, timers
that were 50ms by 5 were too aggressive and even though we
configured 'process-max-time 20' BFD still jumped on high BGP
utilization. TAC said that we just need to have less aggressive
timers and that there's nothing wrong with the implementation.
 Personally, I don't think that 50ms by 5 is not aggressive
in BFD world and were indeed copied from CCO somewhere.

  ++ytti