[c-nsp] "IP ARP throttled out the ARP request"

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Jan 5 16:24:14 EST 2006

Vincent De Keyzer wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a switch that can't ping anything ; while CDP works fine.
>

> When I try to ping an address I see in the CDP neighbour (it's the same
> VLAN), it shows in the ARP debug : "IP ARP throttled out the ARP request".
>

> Does anybody know what it means?
>

> Vincent

Is this on a 2950/3550?  Although the other explanations perfectly
describe what IOS is doing, they may not be helping your fault condition
:-)

I've also seen this in the ARP debug this the configuration is perfect,
but just... wont... work.  It seems to randomly happen to our 3550s in
the field, too.  I've seen mention of it on this list once or twice.

Remove the SVI(3550)/management interface (2950), re-add it, and away
you go.  You may also need to remove the L2 VLAN attachment on the port
facing where you want your traffic to go, and re-add that.  We've seen
this on each 3550 release through 12.1(20)EA1a or whatever we're running
now.

Too bad if you need to use IP management connectivity to remove and
re-add the IP management interface. :-)
-andrew