[c-nsp] [Forum] show arp hardware type INCOMPLETE

Raymond Macharia rmacharia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 08:01:37 EST 2006

Hi Luis,
The only way to find out is to follow Matthew's Suggestion, you need to
unplug each computer one at a time until you identfy the source of the arp
with the said IP subnet.
I had a similar problem some months back and that is way I managed to solve
the problem. It looks more like a worm to me

Raymond

On 1/6/06, Matthew Crocker <matthew at crocker.com> wrote:

> The IP addresses are in your routers ARP table because your router
> thinks the IPs are local.  Are you sure you don't have that network
> configured in your router someplace?   They are incomplete because
> your router cannot find the MAC Address of the machine with the IP
> address.   Your router cannot find the MAC Address because the
> machines don't exist.  You need to do 2 things,  1)  find out why
> your router thinks the 10.30/16 network is local and 2) why your
> router is getting packets destined for that network.   Next time it
> happens try unplugging one machine at a time until the problem goes
> away.  I suspect a virus/trojan/worm on your network somewhere.
>
> -Matt
>
> On Jan 6, 2006, at 5:58 AM, Luis Augusto Tiani da Silva *Luist* wrote:
>
> > I didn't make myself clear..... We have a little and simple
> > network, with a
> > server (NT) and some workstations. There no face with internet. Those
> > address in the arp table of our router doesn't exist in our
> > network, there
> > is no workstation configured with those addresses. I've been seing
> > some docs
> > in the internet and I thought it might be a worm, CODE RED, but we
> > don't
> > have IIS in this network, and when those IP's start to appear in
> > the arp
> > table of the router, the most workstations, even the server, get
> > the network
> > connection lost and get it back, and get lost.... until we restart the
> > machines or unplug and plug the cables from hub's/switches....
> >
> > better now? Have you ever seen this?
> > Tks!

Raymond Macharia