[c-nsp] 6to4 relay router setup

Alexander Gall gall at switch.ch
Fri Jan 6 10:54:41 EST 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:02:18 -1000 (HST), Antonio Querubin <tony at lava.net> said:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, matthew zeier wrote:
>> My test client router has the following config:
>>
>> interface Loopback0
>> ip address 216.23.160.253 255.255.255.255
>>
>> interface Tunnel0
>> no ip address
>> no ip redirects
>> ipv6 address 2002:D817:A0F0::1/128
>> ipv6 enable
>> tunnel source Loopback0
>> tunnel mode ipv6ip 6to4
>>
>> ipv6 route 2002::/16 Tunnel0
>> ipv6 route ::/0 2002:C058:6301::
>>

>> tun0 shows up on client router.  On the relay router destination shows as
>> UNKNOWN.  I'm unable to ping from client to relay.
>>
>> What am I missing?

> Maybe try using Tunnel1 instead of Tunnel0.  I've run into problems using
> Tunnel0 in more recent IOS versions.  In the latest releases I think
> Tunnel0 is actually reserved for tunnelling multicast/PIM registration -
> perhaps someone else can provide further details.

There is one PIM register tunnel per (IPv6) Rendez-vous point, but IOS
doesn't reserve any particular interfaces for this purpose.  It just
grabs one that's not used at the time when it needs to set it up.  It
won't interfere with an existing tunnel (and it doesn't happen at all
unless you have IPv6 multicast routing enabled).

--
Alex