[c-nsp] Problem with NPE-G1

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 18:24:14 EST 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

>on the 7200:
>int gig0/1.1
>  encaps dot1q 1 native
>  no ip address (or put an IP address here if you want to manage the switch
>remotely)

We have 5 working 7206VXRs+NPE-G1, but this is only one using 1000BaseTX
connectivity to the switch (rest routers are connected via SX and LX
optics). And only here we have 1000BaseTX and this kind of problem...

>on the switch:
>int gig0/1
>  switchport trunk native vlan 1
>  switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1

Above commands will be omitted due they are defaults on Catalyst
switches. eg.

labsw1(config)#int giga0/17
labsw1(config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
labsw1(config-if)# switchport mode trunk
labsw1(config-if)#switchport trunk native vlan 1
labsw1(config-if)#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1
labsw1(config-if)#^Z
labsw1#sh run int giga0/17
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 141 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/17
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 load-interval 30
 no cdp enable
end

>int VLAN1
>  ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
>
>Don't forget to set your default gateway accordingly.

No this time, this is L3 switch, and we're using OSPF here. Year VLAN
using SVI from this problematic 7200...

>> will do 2 interface flaps on the switch. I'm not using native vlan...
>> and I want to leave native vlan on main interface.
>
>Did you do any dot1q debugging on either side?
>
>Does the interface come up/up on both sides if you make the link a routed
>interface/access port rather than a trunk?

I didn't try - this is working router with about ~200M of customers
traffic. If I didn't find any good workaround for my problem we'll
make maintenance window and will do couple of tests.

Robert