[c-nsp] 7600, DFC's and MPLS

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Tue Jan 10 15:57:33 EST 2006

> I have two questions regarding the use of MPLS on the
> Sup720-3BXL.  From what I can gather, I can use MPLS on LAN
> ports using this supervisor.

Correct.

> However, if I use DFC3 cards on 67xx modules, bringing the
> forwarding decision to the line card, can I still use MPLS?

Yes, if they're DFC3B or DFC3BXL, you can. (And there's a
caveat here: The PFC will fall back to the lowest DFC mode on
any line card, so don't ever use a DFC3A with af PFC3B(XL)).

> Can the line card, equipped with a DFC3, make forwarding
> decisions based on MPLS?

Yes, the DFC is basically the same thing as the PFC, which
is making the forwarding descisions for you centrally.

> Also, SIP modules.  Any points on using those as opposed to
> OSMs for non-ethernet WAN interfaces?  Better, worse?

OSMs are dying... Maybe not tomorrow, but they'll be replaced
by the SIP/SPA.

-A