[c-nsp] Slightly OT: Core routers used by American (and EMEA) SP's

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jan 11 04:17:54 EST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:47:57AM -0800, Jason Chambers wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2006, at 21:50, Nick Shah wrote:
> > Juniper has made some 'interesting' comments in one of their sales
> > pitches (to us). One of the most intriguing one was along the lines of
> > '9 out of 10 largest SP's in US use Juniper routers in their Core'.
> >
> > I want to find out how true or untrue this comment is.
> >
> > Ps. I know the statement is vague, but I want to get a general feel of
> > Juniper's market in the US (and EMEA).
>
> My understanding, based on brief discussions with a few network
> operators, is that Juniper has a better flow accounting implementation
> than Cisco's NetFlow, so for that reason Junipers are used on ISP
> transit links.

Well, as far as I understand, they have a Really Nice netflow PIC,
that can do full unsampled netflow for just about any amount of traffic.

The downside is that it will of course cost Really Large amounts of
money.

But then, if you depend on unsampled netflow, and the amount of traffic
overwhelms what a Sup720 (or GSR line card) can handle, there is nothing
from Cisco you can buy that will give you "more netflow power".

[..]
> The Juniper tunnel PIC's are also attractive and cheaper (I believe)
> than dedicating a Cisco linecard as a tunnel server card.

I don't see the fundamental difference.  "You need a J line card" vs.
"you need a C line card" to get hardware assisted tunneling...

A slight difference is that *all* cisco platforms can do low-pps tunneling
without extra hardware - like "sending multicast PIM registers", which
is a MUST for IPv4 multicast networks with local sources - and some of
the C platforms can do IP tunneling in hardware right out of the box,
without any extra costs (or loss of module slots).

So in that respect, Cisco seems to be the clear winner :-) - unless you
listen to J marketing too long, in which case all that comes from C is
just "old crap".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de