[c-nsp] Slightly OT: Core routers used by American (and EMEA) SP's

Jason Chambers jchambers at cenic.org
Wed Jan 11 03:47:57 EST 2006

On Jan 8, 2006, at 21:50, Nick Shah wrote:

> Hello
>
> Juniper has made some 'interesting' comments in one of their sales
> pitches (to us). One of the most intriguing one was along the lines of
> '9 out of 10 largest SP's in US use Juniper routers in their Core'.
>
> I want to find out how true or untrue this comment is.
>
> Ps. I know the statement is vague, but I want to get a general feel of
> Juniper's market in the US (and EMEA).

My understanding, based on brief discussions with a few network
operators, is that Juniper has a better flow accounting implementation
than Cisco's NetFlow, so for that reason Junipers are used on ISP
transit links.  Those who are technically savvy can probably elaborate
this point more.. maybe you'll find more on a Juniper related list (
j-nsp ?)

The Juniper tunnel PIC's are also attractive and cheaper (I believe)
than dedicating a Cisco linecard as a tunnel server card.

-Jason