[c-nsp] Slightly OT: Core routers used by American (and EMEA) SP's

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Jan 10 00:12:51 EST 2006

Of course it's true.

now, if they said "9 out of 10 largest SP's in US -ONLY- use Juniper
routers in their Core'
then that might be more doubtful.

For the Juniper statement to be true, all that's required is that a large
SP have a
single Juniper router somewhere on their network.

>Ps. I know the statement is vague, but I want to get a general feel of
>Juniper's market in the US (and EMEA).

I think there's a lot of Juniper routers in the Internet core, no
question of that.
Enough so that if you bought Juniper routers, it is not like Juniper is
going to
dry up and blow away tomorrow and your going to be cursing wasted money.
Choosing Juniper over Cisco for this application is like choosing Mac OS
over
PC running Linux, I think.  It's a preference thing.

What you probably want to look at instead are the institutional costs.
If you
already have a network of Cisco routers and a network of warm bodies
trained
to use them, and this is your first Juniper, it's going to carry a lot of
hidden
training and "institutional knowledge" costs.  Possibly so many that even
if
the price is cheaper for the hardware, that you will end up spending more
money.

And remember, salesman, whether Juniper or Cisco salesmen, will say
anything.
Remember back when you were 16 years old and trying to get your first
girlfriend to have sex with you?  Same thing.

Ted