[c-nsp] ComCast

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Jan 11 04:55:08 EST 2006

They probably finally got around to updating the switches on his
segment..

He's probably running Windows.  He needs to get some real operating
systems that obfuscate the IPid field.  Good shoices are OpenBSD and
FreeBSD.  Some Solaris versions also do this to a certain extent.

A paper on determining the NATTed hosts was published a few years
ago here:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/fnat.pdf

See http://www.ntop.org for more info on how you access agents on
switches that can do this.

I frankly have zero sympathy for your employee and I doubt many
people on this list do either.  The cable providers are assholes who
haven't let any other ISP's access to their network, and in fact it
was lawsuits over them doing this that destroyed UNI-p last year and has
made costs for a whole lot of people get a lot more expensive.   Some
clecs will probably go bank-o as a result of it.  The more cable
customers
finally wise up to what assholes the cable providers are, and go back
to the DSL providers, the happier I and a lot of people are gonna be.

Merry Christmas from your cable provider.  Oh by the way, before I
forget to mention, tell your employee to use Vaseline before he
bends over to get "serviced" by his cable provider - since they are
going to stick it to him again for more money this year, see:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051203/BIZ/512030371/
1001

It will make it feel a bit better.

Ted