[c-nsp] traffic shaping inbound wan?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 13 04:54:42 EST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:

> As Linn has already said: Once the packet has been received on an
> interface, we cannot queue it as there are no suitable queues on input.
> It just doesn't make sense.

Well, actually for an ISP it does. An ISP wants to be able to do queueing
bidirectionally on the customer facing interface in the case where no
dedicated CPE is available, ie when you do L2 aggregation directly into an
PE router.

I know hw manufacturers doesn't see it this way, which is sad. Having to
purchase an expensive L3 CPE just to be able to do bidirectional shaping
might sound good if you're an equipment manufacturer, but as an ISP I
would rather not have a device that does a lot of critical things for my
business, placed at the customer prem. The customer has no interest in my
shaping them, but I do. They have an interest in their connection working
what so ever, so having something managable at their prem so I can monitor
my connection to them makes perfect sense though.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se