[c-nsp] Netflow - 6509

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Sun Jan 15 17:31:34 EST 2006

Actually, having netflow (mls nde, really) on the Sup2 and not the MSFC2
is perfectly OK, since all of your traffic *should* be switched on the
Sup2/PFC2, and not by the MSFC.

Also, in todays networks, sampling is recommended. Also good, if you have
junipers in your network, you can have the sampling match across your
machines to cut down on the post-processing craziness.

We use:

mls rp ip route-map
mls rp ip

mls aging fast time 8 threshold 64
mls aging long 64
mls aging normal 64

mls netflow usage notify 80 300

mls flow ip interface-full
mls flow ipx destination

mls nde sender version 5
mls nde interface

mls sampling packet-based 1024 4096

ip flow-export source Loopback0
ip flow-export version 5 origin-as
ip flow-export destination 64.xx.yy.ff [port]

Sampling is also nice because it is not global; you can do per-interface
netflow. By putting the commands in above, that alone will not cause
anything to be exported. On any interface (physical, or svi), you can:

interface Vlan43
  description [something]
  ip address a.b.c.d e.f.g.h
  no ip redirects
  mls netflow sampling

We do not use 'ip route-cache netflow' anywhere.

Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben
Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net