[c-nsp] Layer2 transport

Mark Rogaski wendigo at pobox.com
Mon Jan 16 02:20:40 EST 2006

An entity claiming to be Kevin Scheunemann (kevin at honeycomb.net) wrote:
:
: I tried configuring the metro ethernet link as an 802.1q trunk, and
: converted the interface ips to a vlan interface,
: I had periods of time when packets wher'nt getting across the link.
:

I've recently been working with a carrier on a similar problem, we had a
metro ethernet link bouncing in and out of trunking mode because DTP frames
were lost.  The carrier has been getting loss-of-lock on their side, but
since GigE doesn't have PM facilities equivalent to SONET we get no
indication of the problem on the circuit ... frames were discarded
silently.  The carrier, AboveNet, has been _extremely_ dedicated to helping
us fix the problem ... even whe we didn't think there was a problem at all.

I'd suggest contacting your carrier and seeing if they've had any alarms on
the circuit.

Mark

--
[] Mark Rogaski        |    Willing to accept a lower economic "standard of