[c-nsp] 6500 PFC feature differences

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Mon Jan 16 14:28:58 EST 2006

>     Does anyone have a decent URL that lists the various
> feature differences between the PFC 3A, 3B, and 3BXL?

Here's how I see it:

PFC3A R.I.P.

PFC3B does everything PFC3A does and then some, incl. MPLS.
      It also costs the same as a PFC3A, so there's little
      reason to buy PFC3A.

PFC3BXL does everything PFC3B does + more routes, but at a
        higher cost.

> It's government, so IPv6 is a necessity,

They all do that.

> MPLS might be a future possibility

PFC3B(XL)

> Compatibility with the 16 port GBIC blades, Flexwan, and OC-12
> POS OSM is currently needed, but a migration path to the
> SIPs/SPAs would be nice if that is the direction that Cisco is
> going to go.

They all (currently) do that.

> I know the easy answer would be the 3BXL across the board, but
> I need to make sure that the extra $12,000 can be justified,
> and not just additional features we'll never need.

The real question you should ask yourself is, do you need the
extra routes, or will you need them in the near future. In that
case get the PFC3BXL. If you think you might need them sometime
in the not-so-near future, you may be better of by changing to
PFC4 then. XL really is significantly more expensive.

-A
(No, that's not an announcement. I don't work for Cisco. But
I'd say it's a safe bet that there'll be something better at
some point in the future).