[c-nsp] Router recommendation

Code Monkey have.an.email at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 08:47:18 EST 2006

On 1/15/06, Dave Temkin <dave at ordinaryworld.com> wrote:

> I'd say the 2851 would serve you well.  You'd need to add an additional
> ethernet port (either via HWIC or NM) but it would work fine.
>
> Otherwise, to get 3 FE's onboard, you'd have to go with a 7200 with an
> NPE-G1, which sounds overkill for this.

Agreed, but he doesn't need 3 FE's *onboard*. He can take an NPE-400 or
NPE-300 (easy to get second-hand), they have 1 FE onboard, and add FE
modules. I don't know how the price compares to the other solutions, but the
7200 NPE-300 256 MB will move the data and take at least partial (/23)
Internet routes without breaking a sweat.

Long-term, just add more 7200s to divide the load :-)

The *real* cheapskate wouldn't even add FE modules but send the single FE to
a VLAN-capable switch, but I can't recommend that for several reasons, one
of those being that if the link to the operator goes down, the router won't
lose the ethernet link, and he won't get near-instant switchover for
outgoing packets.

HTH