[c-nsp] Edge Router Advice

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Wed Jan 18 12:29:26 EST 2006

We may be in need of a new edge router in the near term... Currently we
use a pair of 6509's as our core.  With some possible network changes
I'd like to migrate to a small GSR I think.

Looking for thoughts on Sup2/MSFC2 vs Sup720 vs small GSR vs 7206VXR for
performance??

These routers would be used specifically for BGP sessions and run
OSPF... The 6509's existing would be migrated to distribution routing..
And please bear in mind that this edge router will only be handling 4
upstream providers each with 100 meg of FE connectivity so horsepower
isn't a huge issue.  Actually almost thought of using a 7206VXR with
NPE-G1 but concerned it might not handle the load??

Thanks for any input...

Paul Stewart
IP Routing/Switching
Nexicom Inc.