[c-nsp] Edge Router Advice

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jan 18 12:45:00 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Paul Stewart wrote:

> We may be in need of a new edge router in the near term... Currently we
> use a pair of 6509's as our core.  With some possible network changes
> I'd like to migrate to a small GSR I think.
>
> Looking for thoughts on Sup2/MSFC2 vs Sup720 vs small GSR vs 7206VXR for
> performance??
>
> These routers would be used specifically for BGP sessions and run
> OSPF... The 6509's existing would be migrated to distribution routing..
> And please bear in mind that this edge router will only be handling 4
> upstream providers each with 100 meg of FE connectivity so horsepower
> isn't a huge issue.  Actually almost thought of using a 7206VXR with
> NPE-G1 but concerned it might not handle the load??

You can get four FEs into an NPE-G1 equipped 7206VXR, but it won't leave
much headroom for future growth.  You can use the GE ports on the NPE-G1
itself to feed back to your core without paying a bandwidth point penalty
like you would by using a PA-GE port adapter.  I also would not expect
to be able to run those FE upstream connections at near wire-speed.

Will you be taking full BGP routes from each of your upstreams?

7300s may also be an option worth looking at.

If you're considering non-Cisco options, you can probably get a Juniper M5
on the used market pretty reasonably.  M5i is a newer chassis, but more
expensive and not as plentiful on the used market.

jms