[c-nsp] Edge Router Advice

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Jan 18 13:33:26 EST 2006

Paul Stewart wrote:

> Looking for thoughts on Sup2/MSFC2 vs Sup720 vs small GSR vs 7206VXR for
> performance??

If you're comfortable that this will be a purely Ethernet application,
Sup720 may be a good choice (but I can't speak to that yet).  If there's
a chance it'll become a mixed-media application, a small GSR may work
well IFF the line cards you need have the features you need.  The big
caveat is that the 8FE LC is Engine 1, so no priority queueing support
whatsoever and ACLs are processed in CPU (or possibly in dedicated HW
for certain revisions of Eng1).

The GSR has many quirks, so if it's something you're considering, ask
folks on this list about their experiences and we'll provide more
details.  Now that they're in place and I've gotten over the major
hurdles, I'm quite happy and comfortable with them.  Very few linecards
are set up such that they can be oversubscribed (I think only the 3GE
and 4GE).

pt