[c-nsp] Recommended IOS for 6509 MSFC2 - MPLS, v6

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Thu Jan 19 16:26:34 EST 2006

At 03:52 PM 1/19/2006 -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
>That's kind of concerning if you ask me.... So is Sup2 support dead?  I
>was reading the previous thread and am kind of concerned as we're
>completely Sup2 based and don't need the horsepower of the Sup720 at
>this point... There's no EOL posted or anything, and would hope that
>their lifespan is going to be for quite some time...

Sup2 can not support MPLS or IPv6 in hardware. What is the point of
doing these features at MSFC speeds? I can tell you what happens if
we did support these, I would have lots of annoyed customers because
they can not even forward 1Gbps of IPv6 or MPLS traffic. Therefore we
suggest you use Sup720 PFc3b/3bXL for IPv6 and MPLS applications.

As to EOL, talk to your account team.

Ian