[c-nsp] Packet order and MP

Jessup, Toby Toby.Jessup at qwest.com
Thu Jan 19 15:57:09 EST 2006

Does MP (MLPPP) protect packet order?

I just read RFC 1990 (again) and it seems to indicate that the sequence
numbers in a MP packet header are only used to reassemble fragments in
the receiver. The RFC does not appear (to me) to ensure FIFO
higher-layer packet order from the sender MP process ingress to the
receiver MP process egress. I was thinking it did ....

It appears it would be possible for OOO packets to occur in a case where
MP uses a fragment length of one MP frame (a fragment has both the
beginning and ending fragment bits set to 1 in the frame) and the
differential delay between fast MP bundle elements is high (such as for
a bundle of T1/E1 spans).

So, is it true that if MP is used and "fragmentation is disabled" (a
fragment size of 1, really), then OOO packets are a possibility for
higher layer applications? In regards to ensuring payload packet
ordering across a high speed bundle, MP is no better than per-packet
load sharing at the IP layer (CEF ECMP) when the MP fragment size is set
to 1. Agree?

Toby Jessup
Qwest Communications
National Technical Services