[c-nsp] Troubleshooting bus error

Josh Higham jhigham at pyrontechnologies.com
Tue Jan 24 13:21:09 EST 2006

I had a router drop on me several times last night due to a bus error.
One crash was at 0x0, the other at 0x606A04C8 (corresponds to
main:text).  This is a 7206 (non-VXR) with minimal load that has been
running well.

My guess is hardware, but I've never actually had a hardware error on a
Cisco product so I need some help with diagnosis before I spend a bunch
of money.

Is memory replacement likely to fix the problem, or might I need to
replace the NPE as well?  The router has been in place for several
years; would it still be worthwhile to reseat the memory?

Is it possibly a chassis problem?

The router is running very old software, so an upgrade is in order, but
if hardware is at fault I don't want to make a bunch of changes while
trying to resolve the root problem.  I'd rather do a hardware upgrade
and let it run for a few weeks before doing anything else.

Thanks,
Josh