[c-nsp] MRTG a L2TP VPDN Looback Interface...again

Mark Tohill Mark at u.tv
Wed Jan 25 12:12:08 EST 2006

Hi,

Resurrecting a previous thread, we need to be able to measure BW on GigE
interface to our upstream provider.

The problem is that L2TP tunnels terminating on Loopbacks  providing
customer traffic can't be monitored via MRTG, for example. Tried this.

This traffic enters a GigE port and exit's internet-bound.
Customer-bound return traffic comes back on same interface, all very
complicated. By MRTG'ing Tunnel Endpoints, we maybe could have
subtracted this from incoming and so on....

1.	Would it be possible to terminate VPDN tunnels on a separate
sub-interface of that same GigE port instead of loopbacks? MRTG can
distinguish between sub-int's, right?
2.	By doing this, would it introduce any downsides. Loopbacks
always up, but only one way in/out?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mark