[c-nsp] Buying IP transit at IX?

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Fri Jan 27 08:19:40 EST 2006

This is causing to much chaos, IMHO...

vincent at dekeyzer.net (Vincent De Keyzer) wrote:

> To summarize for the record (including off-list replies): there is nothing
> fundamentally wrong about it, but you should keep in mind that
> 1) this might not be authorised by the IX operator (it luckily is in my
> case)

Your question was not clear anyway:

> > what is wrong with buying IP transit at an IX point (in Europe in my
> > case)?

Did you mean "via the switch fabric"?

If yes - it's allowed in many cases, but people tend to dislike it,
since they pay your bills then, actually. If you do it, nobody
guarantees you SLA stuff for your transit (but IXes usually do for
traffic towards the switch fabric, so, if you don't tell them...) ;-)

If no - private interconnects are available at all IXes I know of,
they are reasonably priced, sometimes available by a one-off fee
with no recurring charges.

HTH,
	Elmar.