[c-nsp] Querying the 64-bit counters of a Virtual-Access interface on a Cisco 7206VXR performing as a BRAS for.

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Jul 4 09:00:27 EDT 2006

Lee:

My s/w release does not support the use of the "show snmp mib ifmib ifindex"
command.

I did implement this functionality in my Perl script in two steps: I'll did
an snmp bulk-request which is surprisingly efficient, seemingly much more
than my SNMP browser which probably just issues get-next, parsed that result
to find the correct object number, and then followed it up with a query on
the relevant OIDs.

What I found disconcerting is that Cisco's use of the discontinuityCounter
seems to update all the entries when any one interface goes over the top,
rather than updating just that one interface.  When I checked the counter
values they were all just three hours old.  Now it's impossible for me to
know how long a virtual interface has been collecting traffic stats, and
'clear int Vi####' and 'clear counters interface Vi####' doesn't let me
reset those 64-bit counters, either.  So for a one-time snapshot this
counter is not very helpful except to know that *some* traffic has gone over
that interface.

Frank