[c-nsp] jumbo MTU on WS-X6704-10GE

Charles Spurgeon c.spurgeon at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 5 14:52:56 EDT 2006

I would expect to see the Ethernet oversized error counter increment
for every frame received that was larger than 1518 bytes (make that
1522 bytes for frames with a VLAN tag in them).  The Ethernet standard
specifies that any frame larger than the max in the standard is an
oversize error.

Jumbo frames are not part of the Ethernet standard. Therefore, the
frame counters below are correctly incrementing for non-standard
oversized frames.

Presumably the 1GigE interface should have been incrementing the
oversized counters as well.  But since you report in a followup that
the counter isn't incrementing, then perhaps it's a bug in the 1GigE
int code.

Or it might be that when a non-standard Ethernet MTU is configured
they decided not to increment the oversized frame error counter to
avoid getting worried calls from the customers. Only Cisco knows for
sure...

Thanks,

-Charles

Charles E. Spurgeon / UTnet