[c-nsp] Line Code Violations

Barton F. Bruce barton at gnaps.com
Thu Jul 6 04:53:37 EDT 2006

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*

> switch and have the other side provide clock
>
> then have both sides set to obtain clock from the line
>
> See what happens
>
> Telcos these days all multiplex their circuits together - I am not sure
> exactly
> how they accomplish this without supplying clock to both sides.  Many of
> our point-to-points apparently go through telco equipment that also isn't
> sure exactly how to accomplish this either, and will supply clock, despite
> the telco's techs protestations to the contrary.

The PA-T3 is in the older M13 format. PMC Sierra **DOES** make chips and I
have been assured cisco has had them ages ago in the lab that would allow a
PA-xT3 card to run each "t3" in either M13 format or as VT1.5s (ie the way a
cisco 15454 (Cerent) breaks out 28 T1s from an STS). cisco's sloth or
arrogance in not providing the spiffier card has kept us inthe dark ages.
The ideal size would be some multiple of 3 and, though you might want coax
BNCs running at 51.x meg, *I* would prefer an OC3 interface and each STS
could be configured as M13 format or as VT1.5s. Your Telco is demuxing these
for you and probably with pure M13 type hardware, but also possibly is going
through a transmux to VT1.5 format and then breaks them down toT1s.

A big DACs can handle either format. The 15454 can pass the M13 format
through on a T3 that enters and exits as a T3 but normally can't peek
inside. If you get stuck and have to buy the obscenely expensive 6 T3
transmux card, you get 6 COAX M13 format T3 on the outside and 6 STSes
inside in VT1.5 format and can haul them around as you please and with an
XTVT matrix card, can reshuffle individual VT1.5s into any timeslot in any
STS. It is a simple T1 DACS in your SONET network. The bummer is that
cisco's 12 port T3 cards ONLY run 45 meg to coax and the other cards todo
51.x meg are never on sale used inthe US at least. Newer designs from less
arrogant vendors let each port be whichever speed you need. The 1U VT1.5
(STS) "M13" boxes MUST have the 51.x meg speed. cisco, by never having a
newer PA-x-T3 card and no multipurpose 12 port "T3" card, has shafted T1
users.

The 1U "M13" box (Adtran, Telco Systems, CAC, and others) all can be had as
dumb old M13 boxes or the newer STS types that do VT1.5s. Price is about the
same. There is a vendor that makes a 9 mux unit that can flip to run either
format, but I never see them for sale used.