[c-nsp] Cisco ASA Filtering

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Thu Jul 6 08:21:53 EDT 2006

Hi everyone...

As you may have seen in a previous email, we are looking at a campus
deployment involving about 1000 users.  I'm considering the option of
using a Cisco ASA 5540 and wondering about using either a CSC card or a
AIP card and pros/cons for both?

The users will be responsible for running an anti-virus and spyware
software etc but would like to ensure traffic hitting this device can
block malicious traffic.  We have ordered a 5520 with AIP for our own
use but haven't had a chance yet to see what all of it's capabilities
are... I'm leaning towards IDS type functions... Any input? :)

Or, is a 7206VXR with inline IOS IPS just as sufficient and/or better in
some regards??

Thanks very much,

Paul Stewart
Network Administrator