[c-nsp] Management IP public or private?

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Fri Jul 7 09:41:04 EDT 2006

Hello,

we are a wireless access operator and as such, we are operating two Cisco
router networks : a public IP network for Internet access, and a DCN for
managing the radio equipment.

We are in the process of migrating to a new PIX firewall which can do any
NAT I can think of. On the routers, I would like be able to configure things
like "ip name-server A.B.C.D" and "tacacs-server E.F.G.H" on any router with
the same address, whatever of the two networks it belongs to (and the PIX
would NAT to the correct address).

Would you use public or private addresses for A.B.C.D and E.F.G.H? We could
route public IPs on the DCN, or private IPs on the public IP network; but I
am not sure which one is better.

Vincent