[c-nsp] Best Router for 3-6 gigabit ethernet interface routing?

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Fri Jul 7 20:12:05 EDT 2006

At 08:05 8/07/2006, you wrote:
>I need to find a solution for internal gigabit routing. I only need 3
>gigabit ethernet interfaces currently, which will be moving iSCSI and
>massive traffic transfers during periods of the day.  We currently have
>4 3750's which I will stack.  [Can the L3 3750's take care of this? The
>switches will be full gig ports with TONS of traffic....would adding
>routing and ACL's  with  gigabit traffic routing degrade these boxes too
>much.]

As long as you're not doing anything too fancy on the routing front,
the 3750's are a good solution for this. Given that the ports are
slightly oversubscribed on some models (as I understand it) just make
sure your devices aren't in the same group of four ports and you
should be fine...

>I want a chassis system but I have no use for all that port density.   I
>was thinking a 2851 or a 38xx..    Could I use a 28xx with maxed memory
>and is there a GIG ethernet WIC card????

The 2851 will max out (according to cisco) at around 112 Mb/s while
the 3845 will go to 256 Mb/s. So, well short of gigabit speeds. And
that's assuming you're not doing anything other than routing. YMMV.
For reference, there is a gig HWIC (HWIC-1GE-SFP) but I seriously
doubt you'll get anything close to gigabit out of it. Not sure of the
inherent limitations of a HWIC slot.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

HTH.

B.