[c-nsp] Neat - Cisco Air Conditioner? (sho env all errors)

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Sun Jul 9 01:11:34 EDT 2006

Router#sho env all
Power Supplies:
         Power Supply 1 is Zytek AC Power Supply. Unit is on.
         Power Supply 2 is Zytek AC Power Supply. Unit is on.

Temperature readings:
         I/O Cont Inlet   measured at 25C/77F
         I/O Cont Outlet  measured at 28C/82F
         NPE Inlet        measured at 30C/86F
         NPE Outlet       measured at 8C/46F

Voltage readings:
         +3.45 V       measured at +3.46 V
         +5.15 V       measured at +5.25 V
         +12.15 V      measured at +12.29 V
         -11.95 V      measured at -11.81 V

Envm stats saved 2051 time(s) since reload

IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-JK9S-M), Version 12.3(19), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

cisco 7206VXR (NPE400) processor (revision A) with 491520K/32768K
bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 29352642
R7000 CPU at 350MHz, Implementation 39, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2 Cache
6 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.7

So why does it say the NPE is cooling the air? This is a standard
unit and other boxes with the same OS version don't say this. Is this
a bad NPE? or a bad sensor on the NPE? I haven't opened a TAC case
yet. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen anything odd like
this. One thing this brings up is that we always monitor for overtemp
alarms. Until now, we never cared if a router was too cold - unless
it is reporting far colder than it could possibly be due to a
hardware problem. I think we will start monitoring for this condition
too. This router is sitting next to my desk btw, before some wiseguy
asks why our datacenter is so hot. :)

This is from one of our other identical routers:

Temperature readings:
         I/O Cont Inlet   measured at 22C/71F
         I/O Cont Outlet  measured at 24C/75F
         NPE Inlet        measured at 26C/78F
         NPE Outlet       measured at 26C/78F

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin