[c-nsp] Cat 6500 - now specced !

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jul 9 06:56:16 EDT 2006

vince anton wrote:
> thanks to all for pointing out that the 6148A is the way to go with sup32 in
> my environment.
>
> I take it that you'd get total 1G from each set of 8 ports, and total of 6G
> from each such card in the chassis right ?

Correct.

> What about the 8 SFP GE ports on the SUP32.  Are these line rate, and how
> are they attached to the fabric ?    And how else do they differ from the
> ports on the 6148A (in terms of L2/L3 features etc..) ?

There is no fabric on a sup32. Just a PFC3B and the 32Gbps "classic" bus.

The 8x1Gig ports on the sup32 are I believe connected to the 32Gbps bus
via their shared ASIC/controller just like ports on a 6148A would be. A
very very interesting question here is whether that controller is a
"stub" controller limiting the throughput like the 6148 or not.

I suspect (hope) not. Perhaps someone from cisco can confirm that.

You might find this a useful page (about halfway down):

http://tinyurl.com/eoncg