[c-nsp] Cat 6500 - now specced !

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Sun Jul 9 12:35:02 EDT 2006

At 11:56 AM 7/9/2006 +0100, Phil Mayers muttered:
>vince anton wrote:
> > thanks to all for pointing out that the 6148A is the way to go
> with sup32 in
> > my environment.
> >
> > I take it that you'd get total 1G from each set of 8 ports, and total of 6G
> > from each such card in the chassis right ?
>
>Correct.

Well it depends on how many cards you have - the bus is 16G, shared
among everything connected to it. 6G max per card up to 16G in aggregate.

> > What about the 8 SFP GE ports on the SUP32.  Are these line rate, and how
> > are they attached to the fabric ?    And how else do they differ from the
> > ports on the 6148A (in terms of L2/L3 features etc..) ?
>
>There is no fabric on a sup32. Just a PFC3B and the 32Gbps "classic" bus.
>
>The 8x1Gig ports on the sup32 are I believe connected to the 32Gbps bus
>via their shared ASIC/controller just like ports on a 6148A would be. A
>very very interesting question here is whether that controller is a
>"stub" controller limiting the throughput like the 6148 or not.
>
>I suspect (hope) not. Perhaps someone from cisco can confirm that.

There is no built-in oversubscription factor on any of the 9 sup32
uplink ports, they get full access to the bus & can run at line rate,
given available bus b/w.

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759