[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Jul 17 08:54:46 EDT 2006

Pierfrancesco Caci <p.caci at seabone.net> writes:

> On the other hand, at least version 3.2.3 has some silly signs of
> immaturity like this:
>
> RP/0/RP0/CPU0:TCRS-1C-MI_MM_26#sh route ipv4 www.cnn.com
>                                              ^
> % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
>
> i.e. it wants an ip address in show route commands. Which is indeed
> not an operational showstopper but a huge annoyance.

Well, that's an interesting choice of example, since the reply for
www.cnn.com is:

   ;; ANSWER SECTION:
   www.cnn.com.            300     IN      CNAME   cnn.com.
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.16.20
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.16.52
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.16.84
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.16.116
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.24.12
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.24.20
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.24.28
   cnn.com.                300     IN      A       64.236.29.120

Which one of the eight returned A records (from three different /24s
which could be from different aggregates but aren't in this particular
case) should "show route" select?  Showing them all would provide you
more data on the screen than you were probably expecting, and likely
not cleanly demarcated into routes for different addresses and in all
probability only showing one line for a route that wasn't in the
routing table at all, which is the one you really want to know about.

I'm for stochastically picking one, which would provide an interesting
side bet opportunity for bored NOC engineers...  a randomness
weighting command could be provided as well, which would afford senior
engineers an advantage analogous to loaded dice.  Cisco are you
listening?  How much of a cut does the "house" have to get in order to
make the business case for implementing this?

                                        ---Rob