[c-nsp] Cisco 12012 Power Question

Zoe O'Connell zoe at complicity.co.uk
Mon Jul 17 09:50:38 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 08:49:19AM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Does anyone know on the 12012 dual DC platform what the *real* power
> requirements are?  My reason is that the Cisco spec calls for 60 amps
> per power supply and this seems really huge in my view....

60A @ 48V DC is 7.2kW, single PSU minimum.
10A @ 200V AC is 4kW, minimum 2 PSUs, so 8kW.

About twice the power a similar sized 7600 needs, but not unreasonable
as they're quite old now.

> With dual power, would it not be load balanced so the combined draw
> would not exceed 60 amps?

It's years since I used a 12000, but at least with the 7600 it's
possible to load one up enough that you're no longer operating
redundantly across both PSUs. (This may not be the case with the highest
rated 7600 PSUs, I've never needed that much power!)