[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jul 17 10:14:19 EDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 07:41:44PM +0200, Gunther Stammwitz wrote:

> > As opposed to all of those other routers and switches out
> > there which do more than 40Gbps per slot today?
>
> Foundry can do 40 gig per slot or even 100 gig per slot. Check out their
> netiron mlx series.

Ok, you people have all lost your minds. A lot of folks replied to me
private too, saying "but the Foundry XMR/MLX can do 100 gigs per slot!".
Don't get me wrong the XMR/MLX (and RX which is almost the same thing) are
actually ok boxes, but they are not magical.

Rather than having typical slots that are "chassis-wide", the new Foundry
boxes split the box down the middle and make their slots "half-width". The
individual cards connect to the central fabric via cell-switching over
multiple parallel links, and stripe data to fabric elemenets on switch
fabric cards (3 per), giving each slot 48Gbps of cell switching capacity.
Of course, once the data gets onto the card itself, there are still only
two 20G links to 20G packet processor ASICs which handle groups of 2x10GE
or 20/24xGE just like everybody else. There is nothing revolutionary here,
Foundry doesn't have access to "special" technology that other people
don't have.

The theory behind the half-slots is that some day in the future when there
is technology to implement 100GE, they'll be able to make a card that is
"chassis-wide" (aka takes 2 slots next to each other) and have 96Gbps of
cell switching capability into the fabric (minus whatever the overhead
is on it). This is the same kind of theory that went into the BigIron's
with the 8Gbps per slot capacity being "10GE ready" in 1999, which is
actually a decent comparison because we're about as far away from 100GE
today as we were from 10GE then. Of course look at the reality of the
situation, in the 5 years between new technology came out and now buying a
10GE port for a BigIron is one of the silliest investments you can make.

But as always, the devil is really in the software not the hardware. I'll
reserve judgement on the new platforms and new software for heavy duty L3
use since I haven't tested it, but you can really never go wrong by saying
"sure fine the hardware moves bits, but what about the software?".