[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Mon Jul 17 18:17:31 EDT 2006

On 18/07/2006, at 12:14 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> But as always, the devil is really in the software not the hardware.
> I'll
> reserve judgement on the new platforms and new software for heavy duty
> L3
> use since I haven't tested it, but you can really never go wrong by
> saying
> "sure fine the hardware moves bits, but what about the software?".

And there's the rub.  Just before we ripped out our last batch of
Foundry boxes we had 7 simultaneously open TAC cases on the same device
- none of which were resolved.  And we're talking things like a
"router" forwarding a packet but transmitting it with the MAC of the
originating host, or randomly transmitting packets with NULL MACs or

Stitching together enough silicon to get the job done quickly is one
thing.  Having reliable, feature rich software to hold it all together
is something else entirely.

David