[c-nsp] Cisco CRS-1

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Jul 18 08:27:32 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 08:17:31AM +1000, David J. Hughes wrote:

> On 18/07/2006, at 12:14 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>
> > But as always, the devil is really in the software not the hardware.
> > I'll
> > reserve judgement on the new platforms and new software for heavy duty
> > L3
> > use since I haven't tested it, but you can really never go wrong by
> > saying
> > "sure fine the hardware moves bits, but what about the software?".
>
> And there's the rub.  Just before we ripped out our last batch of
> Foundry boxes we had 7 simultaneously open TAC cases on the same device
> - none of which were resolved.  And we're talking things like a
> "router" forwarding a packet but transmitting it with the MAC of the
> originating host, or randomly transmitting packets with NULL MACs or

Just curious. What hardware was that on? We just fixed what sounded
like a similar issue for the GSR 10G SPA:

Symptoms: A 1-port 10GE SPA may send packets with random source MAC addresses.

Conditions: The symptom is observed intermittently on a Cisco 12000 series
that runs Cisco IOS Release 12.0(31)S2 and that is configured with 1-port
10GE SPAs that are installed in a SIP-600.

Workaround: There is no workaround.

While some bugs like this are harder to solve I've never seen one
we didn't eventually solve. Sometimes it does take longer than a single
customer is willing to suffer which can be understandable.

Rodney