[c-nsp] Problems sub-interface Catalyst 6500

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jul 18 12:51:14 EDT 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 04:29:16PM -0700, Tim Stevenson wrote:
> I'm not sure such an approach has been considered, but the relative
> complexity and potential caveats/limitations would potentially be
> high versus actual utility.

	The challenge in the SP space is that one doesn't always control
the VLAN ids that are assigned to you.  If you show up in a city, you may
connect to two different metro ether providers and get overlapping vlan ids.

	This means either buying one of the "router" cards for the 76k,
having a second device, or do some funky translations.

	the people who would use this are people who would likely
"know what they're doing", like with most of the hidden commands that
exist in various router vendors.  service unsupported-vlan-magic is a
great way to handle these things :)

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net