[c-nsp] Problems sub-interface Catalyst 6500

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Tue Jul 18 14:03:56 EDT 2006

At 04:29 PM 5/7/2006 -0700, Tim Stevenson wrote:
>I'm not sure such an approach has been considered, but the relative
>complexity and potential caveats/limitations would potentially be
>high versus actual utility.
>
>Tim

We looked at this at one stage for the WS-X... modules but the caveat
list is complex, since it relies on using the Port ASIC remapping
table -> VLAN translation. The table is shared across the ports on a
port ASIC, not per port. If port 1 wants to map 200 to 300, then port
2 on the same port asic can not also remap inbound port 200. You
would have to move that port to another port ASIC to be able to do
it. Then everything remapped on port 1, also applies for traffic
inbound on port 2, if you need to do remapping of vlans on port 1 and 2.

VLAN translation:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080160a7c.html#wp1044990

Ian