[c-nsp] No DSCP transparency, please

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Thu Jul 20 14:17:27 EDT 2006

>   Now, there is not much I can do about these limitations
>   as they are hardware-based.

>   Normally, in SP networks, PE relies on the CE to set the
>   IP TOS and then it either trusts this and puts it into EXP
>   or it overrides it using input service policy to mark the
>   EXP to something else.

I totally agree with the TAC that's normally the case.

But, as I said, in this case it's not really 'customer' traffic.
It's an ETTx setup and it's content traffic (tv, video on demand,
voice, whatever), and when it hits the access network (as plain
IP in VLANs), I'd like it to have whatever DSCP *we* originally
classified and marked it to, not whatever the content provider
wanted in *his* network.

(I know you can re-mark and/or classify on the egress interface,
based on EXP bits, but even that is implemented really ugly).

-A
PS: In that type of setup, the same would hold true for 'real'
customer traffic.

PPS: It seems strange that it's a hardware limitation.