[c-nsp] question about disabling soft inbound

Scott Granados sgranados at jeteye.com
Tue Jul 25 15:07:00 EDT 2006

Hi, so I have a 7507 which of course is steadily running out of memory.
I'm taking three full views and presently somewhere near 94%.  I
tightened my filters a little and started rejecting /24's and added
default routes but of course now I need to disable soft inbound.  If I
do this, I have a couple questions.

1.	Simply entering a no neighbor a.b.c.d soft in will have what
kind of short term effects?  Will the session reset or are there any
other risks of loss of connectivity I should plan for?  (I'll have a guy
on site so it won't be a big deal but I'm wanting to plan this properly)

Secondly, and more importantly, in future, if this is disabled, how can
I or can I even make changes to my maps etc with out having to flap the
session hard?  My understanding is I'll have to do a clear ip bgp
a.b.c.d to reset a session which will of course resend the routes but
will take down and flap that link in the process.  Is my thinking
correct here?

Is there a better way of doing this (yes I know new hardware, that's the
long term plan I'm just looking for a short term fix for now)?  Thoughts
would be appreciated and thanks as always.

Scott