[c-nsp] question about disabling soft inbound

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 25 15:35:37 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 12:07:00PM -0700, Scott Granados wrote:
> 1.	Simply entering a no neighbor a.b.c.d soft in will have what
> kind of short term effects?  Will the session reset or are there any
> other risks of loss of connectivity I should plan for?

This depends very much on the IOS version on your router.  Earlier versions
did a session reset upon changing soft reconfig, more recent versions
don't do that anymore.

> Secondly, and more importantly, in future, if this is disabled, how can
> I or can I even make changes to my maps etc with out having to flap the
> session hard?  My understanding is I'll have to do a clear ip bgp
> a.b.c.d to reset a session which will of course resend the routes but
> will take down and flap that link in the process.  Is my thinking
> correct here?

If the peer has "route refresh" capability, you can just do

  "clear ip b a.b.c.d soft in"

and your router will send a refresh request to the peer, and the peer
will then re-announce all prefixes.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de