[c-nsp] Redistributing default route across MPLS WAN

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jul 26 06:43:14 EDT 2006

jason evans <> wrote on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:25 AM:

> Seems like this should be easy, but I'm having no success ...
>
> The problem is the SF office has a flaky internet connection that
> Verizon is looking into (we all know how long that can take). Good
> news is that there is an MPLS Multilink PPP connection back into the
> Verizon MPLS network and SF can reach NY and other offices (via
> private IP's) on the MPLS bone just fine.
>
> My objective is to route all traffic, Internet included for the time
> being, through the MPLS link to NY, into the NY LAN and out of the NY
> Firewall. All this has been set up and everything works fine IF the
> NY-PPP router has a specific entry for the external network I'm trying
> to reach. So for instance if I put a static route entry in NY-PPP for
> 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.255 NY-FW it works fine and from SF I can ping to
> this external host. However, if I don't have a static entry in NY-PPP
> then the packet gets dropped after it traverses the Verizon MPLS
> first-hop neighbor. The DR on NY-PPP is the NY-FW btw.
>
> Obviously, I'm not redistributing my entire BGP table into my LAN, so
> how do I "trick" the NY-PPP into accepting the packets without a
> specific entry being advertised to my SF MPLS router?

why don't you just advertise a 0/0 from the NY-PPP into the MPLS-VPN
cloud? This way all the other sites (including the Verizon MPLS network)
see this route and can forward the pkts accordingly. If you don't want
other sites than the SF one use this default, just filter the 0/0
inbound on the respective sites..

	oli