[c-nsp] BGP fast converge

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Fri Jul 28 17:01:12 EDT 2006

On 28/07/2006, at 11:27 PM, Mario Velazquez wrote:

> Hi, i am having some problems in my metro network, bgp convergence is
> really a problem, i was looking arround for some fast convergence
> features like BGP Fast Peering Session Deactivation and BGP Next-Hop
> Address Tracking. this is what i have so far:

Welcome to the feature puzzle.  Depending on platform and train, you
may be able to get the features that you need here : ie. Next Hop
Tracking, BFD for BGP etc.  However I've never been able to get what
I need on the platforms we use (we are so exotic - we use 7200's and
6500's  ;-).

If you can't get a BFD capable image then your best shot is to tweak
the timers.  We run the HOLD timer at 3 * 5 second keepalives.  Sure,
you don't get "fast convergence" in any modern definition of "fast"
but it sure beats blackholing your traffic for 3 minutes.   Our only
concern is that our upstreams may not accept the shortened timers but
it's been fine to date.  If all the bits of kit in your diagram are
yours then you wont have a problem.

David