[c-nsp] Cisco BFD and NSF

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jul 30 05:24:13 EDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Enno Rey wrote:

> can you tell me (us) a bit about the deployment details and the
> conditions when those flaps occurred? What was the 'associated risk' or
> what impact did they hacve? Feel free to reply off-list when that deems
> appropriate...

It was a ring of 7600 connected using 10G. In high CPU conditions BFD
would indicate a link was down and the IGP flapped. This is the risk I was
talking about, ie having your IGP flap even more when your converging your
network from another problem.

We set the BFD settings quite aggressively though, I'd recommend not going
below a second, even better, two seconds. This was with SXE or F, I don't
remember.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se