[c-nsp] 7304 and netflow under heavy traffic load

Joe Loiacono jloiacon at csc.com
Mon Jul 31 07:50:32 EDT 2006

You might try adjusting the expiration timers to expire the flows more
quickly. Or perhaps these are long flows that aren't completing until well
past the period you're interested in (e.g., FTP)

As far as the reporting goes - is the tool reporting the flows in the
period they actually occured, or in the period they were received?

Joe

Rich Lemmerman <rich_lemmerman at yahoo.ca>
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
07/29/2006 03:52 PM
Please respond to
Rich Lemmerman <rich_lemmerman at yahoo.ca>

cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
cc

Subject
[c-nsp] 7304 and netflow under heavy traffic load

Having an unusual netflow issue with the 7304 which we are planning to use
as our edge router at a not-too-large data center.  When a specific
destination address (but hundreds of ports) receives heavy traffic, the
netflow records reduces considerably for that destination but stays steady
overall.  However when the heavy traffic subsides, the really old netflow
records associated with that destination show up tardily.  The effect is
that one of the several real-time netflow analysis tool reports the heavy
traffic after the traffic has subsided.

Is it the case that the 7304 is underpowered relative to netflow
generation of this kind or is there a potential problem with the 7304 or
its IOS or its config relative to netflow.

Thanks
- Rich