[c-nsp] Slow IOS transfers on 2811

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Thu Jun 1 11:33:33 EDT 2006

At 11:01 AM 6/1/2006, John Neiberger wrote:
>On 6/1/06, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, John Neiberger wrote:
> >
> > > The FastEthernet interface is autonegotiating to 100/full. I have no
> > > reason to suspect a connectivity problem because the router and my PC
> > > are connected to the same little switch under my desk and my PC has no
> > > problems at all.
> >
> > Are you seeing any errors/collisions/late collisions on the router's FE
> > that would indicate an autonegotiation failure?
>
>Nope, no errors. I have no reason at all to suspect a duplex mismatch.
>That was the first thing I checked. I should also mention that I'm
>getting extremely good response times via ping. With 1500 byte packets
>the average round trip time is 1 millisecond. It is only image
>transfers to the router that are terribly slow.  I'm beginning to
>wonder if something is broken with the file system on the router.

If duplex and errors are eliminated as a possibility on the
connection between the router and TFTP server, I would start looking
into problems with the CF card. Can you try it in another device and
do some file operations to confirm it is working as expected? Do you
have a spare CF card you can throw into the same device and try to
format the file system and transfer it again?

I'm assuming the 2811 boots fairly quickly from the same card so
reads would be ok. How long does it take you to copy the image FROM
the router TO the TFTP server? Any difference?

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain