[c-nsp] Layer2 Switch Recommendations

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra at pheran.com
Fri Jun 2 11:44:14 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:25:14AM -0400, Dale Blount wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations on a (or multiple) Layer2 switches.  The
> requirements being:
>
> - All ports support 100/1000
> - 72-96 ports on a single unit (unlikely), or the ability to stack the
> switches together at 10Gbps+
> - Redundant power supplies (both AC would be a bonus).
> - I don't exactly know how hardware forwarding on switches work, but I'd
> like something that'll work with IPv6 in hardware when it's deployed.
> I'm assuming this doesn't matter for L2 as it would for L3.
> - IOS is preferred unless reasoning for using CatOS or other can be
> explained

In the Cisco world, the only non-chassis switch that meets your requirements
is the 4948-10GE, though it supports layer 3 as well.  The IPv6 requirement
is irrelevant if you only care about layer 2.

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra at pheran.com * Network and Unix Guru(?) at Large
Geek Code: GCS d? s: a C++ U++++$ P+++ L++ w PS+ 5++ b++ DI+ D++ e++ r+++ y+*